Get our latest blog post direct to your inbox every week!


01908 774320



Whether you're a rapidly growing start-up or an established family run business, we have the skills, knowledge and understanding to support you.

Do You Need To Update Your Tax Code?

What to do if it is incorrect ...


Posted by Roger Eddowes on 13/03/2023 @ 8:00AM

PAYE, the system used in the UK for collecting income tax, relies heavily on the tax code. This code specifies the amount of tax that should be deducted from an employee's pay, as well as the amount of 'free pay' they are entitled to receive ...

It's important to notify HMRC if you find an error with your tax code!

It's important to notify HMRC if you find an error with your tax code!

copyright: mehaniq / 123rf

HMRC employs a system of dynamic coding, which means that tax codes are regularly updated to reflect change in circumstances. This can include adjustments to account for underpayments of tax.

"It's important to keep track of your tax code!"

This allows you to ensure you're paying the correct amount of tax. If you receive a tax code for the upcoming tax year before the start of that year on the 6th of April, it's essential to check that it's correct. If you find an error, you should contact HMRC as soon as possible, preferably before the 5th of April, so that the correct tax code can be used from the start of the tax year.

Your tax code is a combination of letters and numbers, with the number indicating your tax-free pay entitlement for the year. For example, if you're entitled to the personal allowance of £12,570 for the tax year 2023/24 and have no adjustments to your code, your tax code will be 1257L. Adjustments may be made to account for things like benefits in kind or unpaid tax, which can reduce your tax-free pay for the year.

The letter in your tax code indicates your personal circumstances. For example, the most common letter suffix is L, indicating that you're entitled to the standard personal allowance. Other letters indicate different circumstances, such as a reduction in your personal allowance due to the transfer of the marriage allowance to your spouse or civil partner.

Some special tax codes don't follow the number and letter format, such as code BR, which indicates that all of your income is taxed at the basic rate. Emergency tax codes may also be used while your employer waits for a tax code from HMRC.

"It's important to notify HMRC if you find an error or if your circumstances change!"

You can use the online service to check your income for the current tax year and to report any changes to HMRC. You can also contact HMRC directly or have a tax professional or accountant do so on your behalf.

Until next time ...

Business Godparent


Would you like to know more?

If anything I've written in this blog post resonates with you and you'd like to discover more about your tax code or how to correct it if it is wrong, it may be a great idea to call me on 01908 774320 and let's see how I can help.

Don't forget to stay updated with our daily social media posts on Facebook.

Share the blog love ...

Google AMP  /  Précis  

Share this to FacebookShare this to TwitterShare this to LinkedInShare this to PinterestShare this via Buffer

#HMRC #TaxCodes #SME #Accountants #MiltonKeynes #UK

About Roger Eddowes ...


Roger trained at Edward Thomas Peirson & Sons in Market Harborough before working at Hartwell & Co, followed by Chancery, as a partner. He started Essendon Accounts and Tax with Helen Beaumont in 2014 as a general practitioner with a hands-on approach.

Roger loves getting his hands dirty, working with emerging, small-to-medium and family businesses to ensure they receive the best possible accountancy advice. Roger utilises an extensive network of business contacts to leverage the best guidance and practical solutions.