Get our latest blog post direct to your inbox every week!


01908 774320



Whether you're a rapidly growing start-up or an established family run business, we have the skills, knowledge and understanding to support you.

Changing Your Company Year-End

Yes, you can do it ...

Click here to view a mobile version of this blog post  

Posted by Roger Eddowes on 17/02/2020 @ 8:00AM

Some business owners may wonder why they may want to consider changing their company year-end as it shortens, or lengthens, their accounting period ...

Changing your company year-end is possible, but it has to be done right!

Changing your company year-end is possible, but it has to be done right!

copyright: kantver / 123rf

It is a little known fact that a company can shorten the length of its accounting period whenever, and as often, as they like. But it can only lengthen it 5 years from the date it was last extended. If you want to extend your accounting period, ensure you have a valid reason.

A normal company year-end is 12 months from the date of incorporation. So if you incorporated on 1st January (or any time in that month), then your year-end is normally 31st January the following year!

The first set of accounts is due at Companies House 21 months after the date of your incorporation. Following that, accounts should be filed 9 months after the year-end. Some businesses (such as those in retail and restaurants) also file accounts up to a date within 7 days of its registered accounting date, although this is becoming less common now as accounting software becomes more efficient and easy to use.

However, a company can change its first accounting period to any length, as long as it's between 6 and 18 months, which means that you can choose any company year-end, no matter when the incorporation date.

So remember, if the accounting period is changed, the company accounts will be due for filing either 21 months from incorporation or 3 months after the new accounting period, whichever is the later date.

"How do you actually change the accounting date?"

Compete form AA01 and submit it to Companies House; however, it is important to note that it can not be changed if accounts are already overdue so you must ensure Companies House receives the form within the allowable period for submission.

Until next time ...

Business Godparent


Would you like to know more?

If anything I've written in this blog post resonates with you and you'd like to discover more, it may be a great idea to give me a call on 01908 774320 and let's see how I can help you.

Don't forget to stay updated with our daily social media posts on Facebook.

Share the blog love ...

Google AMP  /  Précis  

Share this to FacebookShare this to TwitterShare this to LinkedInShare this to PinterestShare this via Buffer

#YearEnd #SME #Accountants #MiltonKeynes #UK

About Roger Eddowes ...


Roger trained at Edward Thomas Peirson & Sons in Market Harborough before working at Hartwell & Co, followed by Chancery, as a partner. He started Essendon Accounts and Tax with Helen Beaumont in 2014 as a general practitioner with a hands-on approach.

Roger loves getting his hands dirty, working with emerging, small-to-medium and family businesses to ensure they receive the best possible accountancy advice. Roger utilises an extensive network of business contacts to leverage the best guidance and practical solutions.